Follow me on Twitter

Everyone else seems to be - Click here: http://twitter.com/OldClucker

Monday, September 1, 2008

Automatic pophole opener

I've finally succumbed to getting one! Dead easy to install as long as your pophole door opens up. Mine opened sideways so I had to move the battens holding the door against the house, but once I'd done that it was really simple, just a matter of fixing the unit to the front of the house and hooking the cord that pulls the door up and lowers it, to the hook on the door. I also got the timer with it, which is seperate but again, easy to fix and connect to the opener. I made a boo boo though, and put the timer next to the opener unit. And with the evenings drawing in I had to get in the run and adjust the time so it shut earlier. Once the weathers good enough I'll move it to the side of the house (there's enough cable supplied with it), so I don't have to get in the run again, as the run's only 3ft high.

Ideal height for Pekins but not very nice when you have to do a commando crawl to reach the house!

I had thought the openers were expensive, I got mine for about £79 and the timer was £35, but to be honest it's paid for itself in time spent going out in all weathers to open and close the chooks house door. It's so nice to know that they are shut up safe at night and let out at 8.30am in the morning, without me having to battle the elements. I still have to go out to take the food out of the run for the night, but that's not really a chore, and the run's covered to protect the Pekins from the weather, so if I forget one night, it's not a disaster as the food hoppers suspended off the ground, (to stop mice and vermin eating the food).

So all in all, I'd recommend everyone get an auto opener. It's money well spent.

Pity I can't afford another one just yet for my new ark.

No comments: