Follow me on Twitter

Everyone else seems to be - Click here: http://twitter.com/OldClucker

Saturday, September 6, 2008

How thick can a chicken be?

My 3 growers that were in the garage are now relaxing in the new ark, were pathetic yesterday.

I put them in the new ark 'upstairs'. They stayed there all morning and wouldnt come down the ladder. So lunchtime I grabbed each one and bunged them in the run 'downstairs'.

Last night as it was getting dark, I go out to pull the ladder up and shut them in for the night and there they are still in the run looking confused and peering skyward towards the hole in the 'upstairs' where the ladder goes up to.

So I manage to catch 2 by laying commando style on me belly on the wet gravel, and poke them thru the hole and they immediately sit on the perch and settle down.

The other so and so runs all round the 'downstairs' like a whippet each time I go to grab it, so I gave up.

I watched for about half an hour, it kept walking round the bottom of the ladder peering up at the other 2 who were peering down.

Finally, just as I was about to help it up the ladder with a broomstick, it hops on the ladder, inspects each rung for a minute or so then gets to the top one and stops.

So it's neither in or out.

I pulled the drawstring to raise the ladder with the dozy bird still on the top of it, waiting to hear that strange gurgle noise when you accidentally squash a chook, but nothing. So secured the drawstring and raced round the other side to peer into the egg box end to see if it was on the perch or sliced in two with the ladder.

Neither!

It was still on the top of the ladder which was now horizonal and closing the entrance to the 'upstairs'.

I've opened the ladder this morning at 7.30am but the dozy things are still 'upstairs', even though their food is 'downstairs'.

No comments: